Thursday, March 6, 2008

Reasons for Being a Republican: Respect for work, life and God

By Judy Butler

I was raised in a blue collar, hard working family. My father was a factory worker and my mother was a waitress.

I always thought everyone worked to raise their family. As an adult I have seen how many people think the government owes them something.

I believe people, if able, should earn their own living and not expect the tax payers to take care of them. We should be responsible for ourselves.

I believe life begins at conception. Abortion should not be a form of birth control.

I believe in smaller government. The Congress has no business telling people how to live their lives.

I am appalled at how the Liberals have taken God out of everything. It only takes one loud mouth liberal to get God removed from our schools, while millions of conservatives sit back and let it happen.

How did it happen that a congressman can take the oath on the Koran.

I think that is enough. You get the idea why I am a Republican.

Judy Butler is a former teacher, Chairman of the Literacy Council, and MCRW Literacy Chairman