Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Quote of the Day

"As the good news mounts and the value of the Bush surge becomes more obvious, there is only one thing missing. Not one major leftwing leader, politician or media outlet has had the decency or character to utter the words, “I was wrong.” (Rep. Brian Baird of Washington state did go to Iraq last year and, to his credit, said after his return, “I think we’re making real progress.”) But Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid, who are running the House and Senate, and the major newspapers, which have second-guessed every move by the president, have been unrelenting in their criticism. Even Barack Obama, who is telling us we need “change,” isn’t big enough to change his own mind and admit that George Bush was right about how to prevail in Iraq, and more fundamentally about the need to prevail in Iraq, while he and other Democrats were dramatically wrong to insist on our surrender.

So here’s my offer to the first leftwing member of Congress who is willing to change, “eat humble pie,” admit that we are winning in Iraq and that President Bush was right: I’ll treat you to dinner at the Washington restaurant of your choice! I eagerly await your change of heart, but I’m not holding my breath."

Gary Bauer

American Values