Friday, September 5, 2008

Republican National Convention: Best Quotes

Republican National Convention Bulletin
National Federation of Republican Women


MEMORABLE QUOTES FROM THURSDAY'S SESSION
FROM SEN. JOHN MCCAIN: "You know, I've been called a maverick; someone who marches to the beat of his own drum. Sometimes it's meant as a compliment and sometimes it's not. What it really means is I understand who I work for. I don't work for a party. I don't work for a special interest. I don't work for myself. I work for you."

"The constant partisan rancor that stops us from solving these problems isn't a cause, it's a symptom. It's what happens when people go to Washington to work for themselves and not you. Again and again, I've worked with members of both parties to fix problems that need to be fixed. That's how I will govern as President. I will reach out my hand to anyone to help me get this country moving again. I have that record and the scars to prove it. Senator Obama does not."

"I fell in love with my country when I was a prisoner in someone else's. I loved it not just for the many comforts of life here. I loved it for its decency; for its faith in the wisdom, justice and goodness of its people. I loved it because it was not just a place, but an idea, a cause worth fighting for. I was never the same again. I wasn't my own man anymore. I was my country's. I'm not running for president because I think I'm blessed with such personal greatness that history has anointed me to save our country in its hour of need. My country saved me. My country saved me, and I cannot forget it. And I will fight for her for as long as I draw breath, so help me God."

"If you find faults with our country, make it a better one. If you're disappointed with the mistakes of government, join its ranks and work to correct them."

"Stand up, stand up, stand up and fight. Nothing is inevitable here. We're Americans, and we never give up. We never quit. We never hide from history. We make history."

FROM CINDY MCCAIN:
"From its very birth, our party has been grounded in the notion of service, community and self-reliance ... and it's all tempered by an uniquely American faith in - and compassion for - each other's neighbors."

"If Americans want straight talk and the plain truth they should take a good close look at John McCain ... a man tested and true ... ... who's never wavered in his devotion to our country ... ... a man who's served in Washington without ever becoming a Washington insider... ... who always speaks the truth no matter what the cost... ... a man of judgment and character ... ... a loyal and loving and true husband and a magnificent father!"

MCCAIN SPEECH TAKES MEMBERS ON EMOTIONAL JOURNEY Federation members who watched John McCain's speech from the NFRW skybox in the Xcel Energy Center on Thursday evening took an emotional journey with the senator, as he recounted how five and a half years in a POW camp transformed him from a self-centered and independent young pilot to a man who was no longer his own, but his country's. Caroline Pierce of Magic Circle RW in Texas wiped tears from her eyes as she listened to McCain's captivating story. "It showed the deep conviction and the love the man has for this country," she said later. "He's definitely a patriot." Jessie Morton of Franklin RW in Louisiana said McCain's speech made her proud to be attending the convention. "The whole tone gave me hope," she said. "We have the best candidates, there's no doubt, and he'll make a great president."

REPUBLICAN WOMEN AT THE CONVENTION
Among those Federation members addressing the Thursday session of the GOP convention were Congresswoman Marsha Blackburn of Tennessee and Congresswoman Mary Fallin of Oklahoma. Long before the stage went up in the Xcel Energy Center and the delegates filled nearly every hotel room in the Twin Cities, the women of the Minnesota Federation of Republican Women were on the ground, waiting to lend a helping hand in bringing the GOP convention to their home state. Margaret Flower, Minnesota FRW president, says nearly 50 members served as volunteers this week, performing such tasks as transporting VIPs, greeting buses and providing information at hospitality desks. "We're just so excited to be hosting the convention in Minnesota," she says.