Saturday, December 20, 2008

Passing of a Conservative Giant

"For those of you that have not heard, it is with great sadness that I am writing to let you know that one of the founders and pillars of the conservative movement in America for over 40 years -- Paul Weyrich -- passed away this week.

Paul has been a spectaular "doer" who has led from the front and educated so many of us along the way. He has even gone to other countries, such as the Eastern Bloc after the fall of the Berlin wall, to introduce conservative principles in a part of the world that had been an intellectual desert for many decades.

It is impossible to overstate the incredible impact that he has had on this country through his conservative efforts.

Paul was a constituent of mine. I met him while doing door to door campaigning very early in my Senate career. While walking through a neighborhood, I was reading my street sheets. And I still remember thinking, 'how about that, this guy has the same name as THE Paul Weyrich.'

Little did I know that I was about to meet THE Paul Weyrich! It was an honor and a treat to meet him, to have his support and to learn from him.

Paul died the same day that I got his Christmas card. I would ask each of you to pray for Paul and his family in their time of grief. And let us commit ourselves to continuing his great work."

Senator Ken Cuccinelli

Virginia 37th District

For more information, please go to www.FreeCongress.org