Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Quote of the Day

Families Can’t Afford House Climate Bill

Representative John Salazar, Democrat from the 3rd District of Colorado, recently expressed concerns echoed by many with respect to the massive House-passed Cap and Trade bill:

“I have always been a strong proponent of creating green jobs and investing in renewable energy. But the cost to consumers in this bill is highest for those living in rural America, particularly in a district like Colorado’s Third where the Low Income Energy Assistance Program is vital in getting us through our long harsh winters. The Congressional Budget Office estimates the bill will cost the average U.S. household $165 annually. But in my district estimated annual increases are between a few hundred dollars and several thousand dollars per household. I cannot support dramatically increasing utility rates on my constituents, at a time when I feel the economy is just starting to stabilize across the state.”