Truth Is Stranger than Friction
If FRC is the "fear machine" MSNBC says we are, then the side we're scaring must be the Left. All week long, our new health care ad has been the bee in these liberals' bonnets. Groups like NARAL, Planned Parenthood, Sojourners, and Catholics United are desperately trying to claw their way back into the health care debate after losing credibility on the abortion question. Our campaign to expose the abortion implications in health care "reform" has been so influential that one organization called us "the single greatest threat to the passage of health care reform." Why? Because the Left can say
1. The House bill specifically includes it. The Capps amendment explicitly allows abortion coverage in the public health plan and subsidizes health plans that cover abortion. (Passed 30-28 in the House Energy and Commerce Committee, July 30)
2. Senate Democrats admit it. "[The health care bill] would include, uh, it would include, uh, Planned, uh, Parenthood clinics." (Sen. Barbara Mikulski, July 9, Senate Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions-HELP-Committee meeting-Planned Parenthood is the No. 1 U.S. abortion chain.)
3. Senate Democrats refused to ban it.
Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah): "Madam Chairman, would you be willing to put some language in [about] not including abortion services? Then I think you would have more support."
Sen. Barbara Mikulski (D-Md.): "...No, I would not, uh, be willing to do that at this time." (July 9, Senate HELP Committee meeting)
4. The mainstream media confirms it. ("Government insurance would allow coverage for abortion," Associated Press, August 5, 2009).
5. The Obama administration includes it in its definition of reproductive health care.
"Reproductive health care includes access to abortion." (Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, July 19)
6. Every amendment to exclude it from health care legislation was defeated by the liberal sponsors. The following is a list of pro-life amendments that would have prevented abortion funding or prohibited abortion mandates for covered services. (For vote tallies and details, see our complete list at www.frc.org.)
abortion is not a part of the health care legislation--but FRC can prove it is. Here's how:
- Rep. Sam Johnson Amendment in the Ways and Means Committee (July 16)
- Rep. Eric Cantor Amendment in the Ways and Means Committee (July 16)
- Rep. Mark Souder Amendment in the Education and Labor Committee (July 17)
- Rep. Joe Pitts Amendment in the Energy and Commerce Committee (July 30)
- Reps. Bart Stupak and Pitts Amendment in Energy and Commerce Committee (July 31)
- Sen. Orrin Hatch Amendment #227 in the Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions Committee (July 13)
- Sen. Mike Enzi Amendment #277 in the Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions Committee (July 13)