By Gary Bauer
- We don't know how Ambassador Stevens was killed. Early media accounts suggested he died from smoke inhalation. But there were other reports indicating that he had been viciously attacked and murdered. Presumably an autopsy has been performed. Where are the results?
- We were told that the Navy SEALs who died while defending Stevens were part of his security detail. When the fighting started, they did what our courageous SEALs are trained to do -- they fought back! While their precise role in Libya is vague, they were not part of Stevens' security team. It now appears as though Stevens was somehow separated from his "small security detail" when he traveled from the U.S. embassy in Tripoli to the consulate in Benghazi.
In fact, we now know that there were no Marines stationed at diplomatic posts in Libya. White House Press Secretary Jay Carney was asked repeatedly yesterday who made the decision not to post Marines in Libya, and Carney repeatedly dodged the question.
- We were told that the hired Libyan security detail fought bravely to defend Ambassador Stevens. It was later reported that members of that team betrayed his location when he left the consulate and moved to a "safe house." We were told that Libyans rushed to help Stevens. Yet the only evidence of that is a video of Stevens being dragged while the crowd yells "Allahu Akbar!"
- U.N. Ambassador Susan Rice was dispatched to all the Sunday talk shows to deny that this was a terrorist attack. She insisted over and over again that it was a "spontaneous" event, related to protests over a "very hateful video on the Internet." However, Stevens worried for months about "never-ending security threats in Benghazi" and knew that he was on an Al Qaeda hit list.
The Obama Administration has sent FBI agents to investigate the "crime scene." Presumably they will interview Libyans who live in the area. CBS has already done that. According to witnesses they spoke to, "there was never an anti-American protest outside of the consulate [in Benghazi, Libya]. Instead, they say, it came under planned attack." CBS reporter Margaret Brennan added, "That is in direct contradiction to the administration's account of the incident."
- There are reports suggesting that the man behind the attack may have been released from GITMO in 2007. (Presumably it won't be long until Obama tells us it is all George Bush's fault.) Let me remind you of the political atmosphere in 2007.
The Democrat Party had just taken control of Congress. Top Democrats, led by Senator Dick Durbin and then-Senator Barack Obama, along with the ACLU, constantly insisted that GITMO be closed, that the prisoners were being held illegally and that they should be tried here in our civilian courts.
GITMO detainees had legal representation from top law firms around the country. Left-wing legal eagles lined up to do pro bono work for these thugs. That's right -- their "charity" of choice was defending Islamic extremists. Attorney General Eric Holder has appointed several of them to top Justice Department positions where they serve today.
>From the GITMO release of the terrorist who may have led this attack to the failure to provide adequate protection for our people to the lies of the past nine days, this whole disaster is owned by the left and Obama.