Thursday, October 24, 2013

Davion Only Wants A Family


Gary L. Bauer
VISIT AMERICAN VALUES


I know the news is often depressing, but here's a story that will warm your heart.

Davion Only, a 15 year-old Florida boy, was born in prison. He never knew his mother. Desperate to find out more about his family, he took his birth certificate to a public library this summer and searched for his mother's name. He found her obituary.

Desperate to change his life, Davion told his caseworker that he wanted a family and he wanted to go to a church to find someone to adopt him. That's interesting. Somehow Davion knew better than to go to a Planned Parenthood center or to knock on the door of Atheists United looking for someone to love him.

Last month Davion stood before the congregation at St. Mark Missionary Baptist Church in St. Petersburg, Florida. He said, "My name is Davion and I've been in foster care since I was born. . . . I know God hasn't given up on me. So I'm not giving up either. I'll take anyone. Old or young, dad or mom, black, white, purple. I don't care. And I would be really appreciative. The best I could be."

Davion's story was picked up by the local media and it went viral. The response overwhelmed the agency that is currently caring for Davion. ABC News reported that nearly 10,000 people have called or emailed asking to adopt Davion.

Yes, we have problems. But stories like Davion's remind me that America is still filled with a vast reservoir of good and decent people. Be not afraid, my friends. Be bold and courageous in the good fight for faith, family and freedom!