By Gary Bauer
..There was a bombshell report from Fox News providing yet more evidence of what may be the biggest political scandal in American history. Of course, the information was completely ignored by Big Media.
We know from previous reporting that Barack Obama was meddling in the FBI's work as early as September 2016. (Remember, Obama assured us that he never talked to the attorney general or the FBI about pending investigations.)
Newly discovered text messages (yes, we are still finding them!) from FBI agents Peter Strzok and Lisa Page suggest the Obama White House was meddling well before that, perhaps even right from the beginning. Here's what we know:
- Former FBI Director James Comey said that the investigation of the Trump campaign began in late July 2016. On August 2nd, Page sent a text to Strzok warning him to "Make sure you can lawfully protect what you sign. Just thinking about Congress, [Freedom of Information Act requests], etc." That's an odd thing for one FBI agent to tell another agent.
- The next day, Strzok replied that then Deputy Director Andrew McCabe was already worried about "information control."
- On August 8th, Strzok texted Page about a cyber intelligence briefing that was being put together for Comey to present to Obama Chief of Staff Dennis McDonough.
- Days later, then CIA Director John Brennan held a private briefing with Senate Democrat Leader Harry Reid. Two days after that, Harry Reid wrote a letter to James Comey, based on the information he got from Brennan, demanding an investigation of the Trump campaign.
- On August 29th, the New York Times reported on Reid's letter to Comey.
- On August 30th, Strzok sends a text to Page, "Here we go" with a link to the Times story, adding that Comey said he had talked to Reid and knew the letter was coming.
So, what does this information tell us?
Congressional investigators warn that the FBI and the CIA are supposed to be "independent agencies." Yet they appeared to be coordinating, almost from the very beginning, with the White House, with liberal leaders in Congress and with their liberal allies in the media to push a narrative damaging to the Republican presidential nominee.
It really looks like Watergate on steroids.