Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Ron Paul Said What He Meant and Meant What He Said


Delegate Scott Lingamfelter

R-31, Prince William and Fauquier
excerpt

"I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God."

Like many veterans, we who served took an oath very similar to this.  And, as a combat veteran, I am distraught over the death of former Navy SEAL Chris Kyle. Chris was a hero and a patriot who saved countless American lives. Not only was Chris a hero on the battlefield but he was a hero at home.  When Chris realized a hometown veteran was suffering from Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), he once again answered the call of duty.  This time, not as a sniper, but as a friend, helping a fellow warrior who suffered mental wounds from the field of battle.  

Sadly, it was reported yesterday that this same veteran allegedly shot and killed Chris.

I pray that God will comfort his family, especially his wife and their two young children.  Because not only has Chris Kyle's family lost a son, a husband and a father, they also have seen his service and his memory dishonored in reprehensible remarks by Dr. Ron Paul, the former U.S. congressman and 2012 Republican presidential candidate.  Dr. Paul apparently said the following on a Tweet yesterday:

"Chris Kyle's death seems to confirm that "he who lives by the sword dies by the sword." Treating PTSD at a firing range doesn't make sense"
             Ron Paul (@RonPaul) February 4, 2013

I served 28 years in the United States Army. I swore a sacred oath on the same Constitution that Congressman Ron Paul did. It sickens me that our party -- the party of Reagan -- could put on a Republican stage a candidate who holds our party, our process, our principles and our nation in such utter contempt.

Today, I call upon all my fellow Republicans, especially Ken Cuccinelli, our Attorney General candidates, and my opponents for Lieutenant Governor to publicaly and definitively repudiate Dr. Paul's position regarding this American hero.   
 
As one of our most revered GOP ancestors said, "A house divided against itself cannot stand." Our Republican house is divided.  It's not Conservatism that needs fixing; it's our leaders that need fixing.  Any leader who in essence spits on the grave of a soldier who swore an oath to defend our Constitution, our nation, our people – any man or those that follow him that adheres to such disgust for our servicemen as Dr. Paul apparently has, is worthy of utter disdain.