Thursday, June 6, 2013

Good Job, Roy!


Gary L. Bauer
American Values

Kudos to Roy Costner, IV. The valedictorian of Liberty High School in Liberty, South Carolina, literally tore up his speech and began to recite the Lord's prayer. He did it in response to efforts by the ACLU and the Freedom From Religion Foundation to drive faith from the public square. His faith was important to him and he wasn't going to let anybody tell him to shut up.

I often get messages from good people who are depressed about the state of culture, and I get it. Sometimes they suggest crazy ideas like secession. My friends, we don't need to break up the country. What we need is for more people to stand up and demonstrate the same level of commitment and courage as Roy Costner!

Think about Martin Luther King, Jr. The civil rights movement did not take off until enough black men and women, led by their pastors, stood up and said, "Enough! I am going to sit here! I am going to express myself! I am going to exercise my rights!"

While a few of our pro-life and Catholic friends have raised the issue, on the whole the conservative, pro-family movement has not yet seriously considered the concept of civil disobedience. Now just imagine priests, pastors and rabbis -- and whole congregations -- waking up every morning with the courage of Roy Costner -- and acting on it!