Tuesday, September 24, 2013

59 Virginia Sheriffs Endorse Mark Obenshain for Attorney General


September 23, 2013

Nearly Half of Sheriffs Endorsing Obenshain are Independents

RICHMOND – Mark Obenshain today announced the support of 59 Sheriffs from across Virginia, including 25 Independent Sheriffs and Democratic Sheriff Jack Stutts. Senator Obenshain has received the Virginia Sheriffs' Association Legislator of the Year award for his work in the General Assembly. According to his website (accessed 9/20/13), Obenshain's opponent in the race for Attorney General has been endorsed by six Sheriffs.

Obenshain spoke last week at the Virginia Sheriffs' Association Annual Conference in Norfolk, and pledged to continue to work closely with Sheriffs to make law enforcement the priority that it deserves to be in Virginia.

Speaking about the broad support from Virginia Sheriffs, Obenshain said, "Throughout my career, I've partnered with Sheriffs across Virginia to ensure that they have the tools and resources they need to do their jobs.  But we all know that the best laws in the world don't mean anything without the dedicated and talented men and women who wear the uniform. Our sheriffs and their deputies put their lives on the line to keep us safe. These brave men and women serve on the front lines, upholding that basic responsibility of our government to enforce the law. I'm grateful for their support, and for everything that they do to make our Commonwealth a better place to live and work."

Earlier this month, Sheriff Jack Stutts (D-City of Franklin and Southampton County) announced his endorsement for Mark Obenshain for Attorney General saying, "Mark Obenshain is one of the hardest workers I know and he knows how to get things done. His fingerprints are on countless pieces of legislation that have helped sheriffs and other public safety officials be more effective in carrying out our mission. I've been a Democrat my whole life, but I have seen that when Mark approaches problems he'll bring Republicans, Democrats and Independents to the table. He'll hear you out and work with you to find a solution. Mark's a good man, and he has my full support to be Virginia's next Attorney General."

Speaking about her support for Mark Obenshain for Attorney General, Sheriff Octavia Johnson (R-Roanoke City) said, "I admire Mark Obenshain for his focused approach to his work. I appreciate his personality; he is sincerely interested in people, their story, thoughts and ideas. He's a rare leader with a firm grounding in the law and his convictions, but a hunger for the opinions and advice of others. Mark listens. I know that Mark has the energy, power and tenacity to fight for the good of all Virginians. Mark Obenshain has the best interest of his constituents at heart and that's an attitude that we need in the Attorney General's office."

Sheriff Anthony A. "Tony" Lippa, Jr. (I-Caroline County) said, "I have been working in law enforcement for over 37 years, first as a Henrico Police Officer, then as a State Police Trooper, Sergeant, and First Sergeant and now as a Sheriff for the past 10 years. I'm supporting Mark Obenshain for Attorney General because he has a firm grounding in the law and has made public safety a priority throughout his career."

Sheriff Jim O'Sullivan (R-Chesapeake City) said, "Simply put, Mark Obenshain is the leader Virginians need as our next Attorney General. He has made public safety a top priority in the Senate, and he will carry this same passion to Richmond. Outside the Senate, Mark is an accomplished attorney who has handled hundreds of constitutional cases and managed two successful Virginia law firms, experience that will serve him well running the Attorney General's office, which is, in effect, one of Virginia's largest law firms."

Sheriff Mike Chapman (R-Loudoun County) said, "Virginia needs an Attorney General who will protect and promote public safety, and defend the laws the Commonwealth.  Mark Obenshain's years of experience with law enforcement will serve him well as our next Attorney General."

Sheriff Scott Jenkins (I-Culpeper County) said, "I support Mark Obenshain for Attorney General because his legislative record shows an interest in prosecuting criminals fairly but punishing the worst of them firmly.  His knowledge of constitutional law and procedural rights is coupled with an understanding of how to strike a balance between individual liberty and public safety.  I first met Mark at the General Assembly Building as the Chief Deputy of Rappahannock County Sheriff's Office, one of hundreds of Sheriffs and Deputy Sheriffs there asking for budget funding; his door was open then, and he and his staff have been available to me and mine since. I support Mark Obenshain because I know he will continue to provide the tools, including personnel and funding, that will help me and my staff provide the best possible law enforcement service to the citizens of Culpeper County."

Sheriff Mike Brown (R-Bedford County) said, "Mark has my support because of his tenacious commitment to our Constitution, our military and law enforcement. His support of aggressive law-enforcement efforts directed against those who use the Internet and other cyber communication equipment to harm our children is another reason that I support his campaign for Attorney General."

Sheriff Thomas Jones (I-Charlotte County) said, "During the many years I have worked with Mark Obenshain, I have known him to be very pro-law enforcement.  He is an honest, true-to-his-word, hard working man, who will make a fine Attorney General."

Sheriff David Hines (R-Hanover County) said, "I'm pleased to offer my support to Senator Obenshain for Attorney General of Virginia.  I, along with my colleagues, have met with him personally and found him to be someone who has a true understanding of the current and future issues facing law enforcement. Of equal importantance, he clearly understands the importance of the role that the Office of the Attorney General has in protecting the citizens that we are called to serve."

Sheriff Charlie Jett (R-Stafford County) said, "I've been working in law enforcement for 30 years, When I say Mark Obenshain is a leader, I mean, he's the one that other legislators – on both sides of the aisle – will go to for advice on a range of public safety matters. I'm supporting Mark Obenshain for Attorney General because he has proven himself time and time again to be a friend to Sheriffs and law enforcement in the Commonwealth.  He knows how important public safety is and I look forward to working with him to make sure it continues to be a top priority."

Sheriff Danny Diggs (R-York County and Poquoson City) said, "Mark Obenshain has a proven track record of supporting of law enforcement and is dedicated to protecting the life and property of all Virginians. His legislative accomplishments and legal prowess makes him the leader we need in Richmond.  I trust him to do what is right for Virginia."

Sheriff James Agnew (I-Goochland County) said, "I have found Mark to be accessible and very knowledgeable about the issues that sheriffs face.  He has made it very clear that he will work with us. Mark also understands that the role of the Attorney General in Virginia is to provide good legal counsel for the state and state officers. Mark has a quiet, composed, and dignified demeanor that exudes confidence and competence. I am convinced that Mark will be an outstanding Attorney General."

Sheriff Glendell Hill (R-Prince William County) said, "Mark has my endorsement because he has the background and strong relationships with public safety officials to make real progress as our Attorney General. Mark has been a friend of Virginia's Sheriffs for years, and has the right plans to make Virginia safer."

Sheriff Dennis Proffit (R-Chesterfield County) said, "I have served in public safety for 40 years. Virginia is a state where our citizens can feel safe and protected by strong public safety agencies.  This security comes in part from strong Attorney Generals in Virginia who have partnered with those agencies and worked to make public safety a priority. However, there are ever changing threats to children and our elderly in particular, as new technology and new tactics are employed by those who would do them harm.  We need a strong Attorney General that will protect our seniors, children and all of us. Mark Obenshain's record shows that he is that man.  He has my support because I know that Virginia will continue to be safe and secure under his leadership."

Sheriff John Thomas (R-Page County) said, "Having worked closely with him on legislative issues the last four years, I have found him to be an advocate for strong laws against crime as well as a believer that government should not place an unfair burden on its citizens. He works unbelievably long hours but always makes himself available when needed.
He will bring this no nonsense honesty to Richmond as our next Attorney General."

Sheriff Robert Deeds, (R-James City County and Williamsburg City) said, "Senator Mark Obenshain has been a leader in fighting for the safety of our loved ones, and for our freedoms as Americans and as Virginians.  His experience in the Virginia Senate, his years of managing a successful law firm, and his demonstrated support for public safety make him my choice to be Virginia's next Attorney General."

Sheriff Greg Anderson (I-Hopewell City) said, "I find Mark Obenshain to be a man of honor and integrity who was raised in the time-honored tradition of Virginia values, honoring religion, family, and responsibility. He is a quality family man who I am honored to support!"

Sheriff Ronald Sprinkle (R-Botetourt County) said, "I have known the Obenshain family for years.  Senator Obenshain has dedicated the majority of his life to serving the people of Virginia, and I know he will make an outstanding Attorney General.  I also know that Mark's experience working with Sheriffs on legislation and defending Sheriffs in the court of law makes him the best ally we could possibly have in Richmond."

Sheriffs for Mark Obenshain

J.E. "Chip" Harding – Albemarle County (R)

Kevin Hall – Alleghany County (I)

Randall Fisher – Augusta County (R) 

Mike Brown – Bedford County (R)

Jerry Thompson – Bland County (R)

Ronald Sprinkle – Botetourt County (R)

Ray Foster – Buchanan County (R)

Randolph Hamilton – Buena Vista City (I)

Steve Hutcherson – Campbell County (I)

Anthony A. "Tony" Lippa – Caroline County (I)

John B. Gardner – Carroll County (R)

Thomas Jones – Charlotte County (I)

Jim O'Sullivan – Chesapeake City (R)

Dennis Proffitt – Chesterfield County (R)

Scott Jenkins – Culpeper County (I)

Bobby Hammons – Dickenson County (R)

Shannon Zeman – Floyd County (R)

W.Q. "Bill" Overton – Franklin County (I)

Paul Higgs – Fredericksburg City (I)

Darrel Warren – Gloucester County (R)

James Agnew – Goochland County (I)

Steve Smith – Greene County (R)

Fred Clark – Halifax County (I)

David Hines – Hanover County (R)

Mike Wade – Henrico County (R)

Greg Anderson – Hopewell City (I)

Mark Marshall – Isle of Wight County (I)

John Charboneau – King & Queen County (I)

Steve Dempsey – King George County (I)

J.S. Walton – King William County (I)

Robert Deeds – James City County/Williamsburg City (R)

Gary Parsons – Lee County (R)

Mike Chapman -- Loudoun County (R)

Ronald Gillespie – Lynchburg City (R)

Erik Weaver – Madison County (I)

Mark Barrick – Mathews County (I)

David Bushey – Middlesex County (I)

F.W. "Wakie" Howard – New Kent County (I)

Mark Amos – Orange County (I)

John Thomas – Page County (R)

Mike Taylor – Pittsylvania County (I)

Gregory Neal – Powhatan County (I)

Harold "Bucky" Allin – Prince George County (I)

Glendell Hill – Prince William County (R)

Mark Armentrout – Radford City (R)

Octavia Johnson – Roanoke City (R)

Bryan Hutcheson – Rockingham County/Harrisonburg City (R)

Tim Carter – Shenandoah County (R)

Jack Stutts – Southampton County/Franklin City (D)

Roger Harris – Spotsylvania County (I)

Charlie Jett – Stafford County (R)

Alex Caldwell – Staunton City (R)

Raymond Bell – Sussex County (I)

Ken Stolle – Virginia Beach City (R)

Danny McEathron – Warren County (R)

Joe Harris – Waynesboro City (R)

Ronnie Oakes – Wise County (R)

Doug King – Wythe County (R)

Danny Diggs – York County/Poquoson City (R)

Mark Obenshain is the Republican nominee for Attorney General of Virginia. He currently represents the 26th District in the Senate of Virginia. 

ON THE WEB


Mark's website: http://www.markobenshain.com

Mark on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/markobenshain

Mark on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/markobenshain