December 4, 2019
By Gary Bauer
Round Two of Impeachapolooza began today in the House Judiciary Committee. Chairman Jerry Nadler decided to begin the second phase of this colossal waste of time by bringing in four constitutional law professors to explain the pros and cons of impeachment. That speaks volumes about just how weak the left's case truly is.
We can all read the Constitution for ourselves to understand impeachment. But clearly progressives don't think they've made the case yet after two weeks of stacked hearings in the House Intelligence Committee. (The polls certainly show that they haven't convinced the American people.) They still need help from so-called "experts" on the Constitution.
And that's not the only problem they've got. Some progressives are fuming that none of today's witnesses were minorities. Seriously, you can't make this stuff up!
Rep. Al Green (D-TX) took to the House floor this morning and essentially accused Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Chairman Jerry Nadler of racism.
Here are some facts you should know:
- While Judiciary Committee liberals were pretending to appeal to the Constitution today, this is a raw power grab. Today's witnesses were stacked 3-to-1 against the president.
- One of the witnesses is a rabid leftist who bought into the Russia collusion hoax hook, line and sinker. He also wanted to impeach Trump back in 2017 -- over a tweet of all things! Another witness is so consumed with hate that she gets triggered by the Trump Hotel.
- As we have noted before, the left has been braying for Trump's impeachment quite literally since the day he was sworn into office. Jerry Nadler has been plotting impeachment since the day he took over the Judiciary Committee.
- In other words, today's hearings were a foregone conclusion in search of a crime. The left convicted Trump the moment he won the 2016 election and has been searching ever since for any excuse it could find to remove him. Nadler thought he had it with the Russia/Mueller probe. But that turned out to be a big flop.
- Today's lone "Republican" witness isn't even a supporter of President Trump. George Washington University Law Professor Jonathan Turley is an avowed liberal who voted for Bill Clinton in 1992 and Ralph Nader in 1996. He's also an advocate for polygamy.
- Nevertheless, Turley blasted the left's case for impeachment as "woefully inadequate," "dangerous" and plagued by "a scarcity of evidence." I guess that's one thing Turley and I agree on. But if progressives can't win over a liberal like Jonathan Turley, they are clearly falling short.