Sunday, February 5, 2023

From Congressman Bob Good

Committed to Serving You in the 118th Congress

I am ready to continue my service on the House Education and the Workforce and Budget Committees in the 118th Congress, and I am honored to have been named Chairman of the Health, Employment, Labor, and Pensions (HELP) Subcommittee.

On the Education and the Workforce Committee, I will continue working to empower parents in education, provide them more choice, and rid our school systems of the woke agenda of the left. As Chairman of the HELP Subcommittee, I will work to diminish the harmful actions of union bosses, facilitate a business climate that encourages job and wage growth, and reduce the federal regulatory overreach that is hurting our economy.

On the Budget Committee, I will continue the fight for transformational change to the way Washington operates, and put the brakes on the Democrats' out-of-control borrowing and spending.

Put American Workers First

Our economic recovery from the damage of the 2020 pandemic has been stifled by radical Democrat policies that discourage work, enable big labor, and punish small businesses. When I was in college, I worked in a unionized auto factory and saw firsthand the problems unions can create. Unions make American companies less efficient, less profitable, and less competitive, and they cost American jobs. Rather than working to eliminate unnecessary regulations and reduce tax burdens, Democrats want to give union bosses unrestricted power.

I am committed to putting American workers first. This week in Washington, I renewed my commitment to boldly stand up to union bosses and radical labor policies by introducing three pro-American worker bills. American businesses deserve policies that work for them, not against them.

First, I introduced the Repeal Davis-Bacon Act that would get rid of the Jim Crow era "Davis-Bacon" law requiring the government to pay the "prevailing wage" which inflates the cost of taxpayer funded construction and infrastructure. I also introduced the Prohibit Neutrality Agreements Act, to empowers employers to contract with employees and labor organizations as they see fit without being subject to coercive union tactics and smear campaigns. Finally, my Union Integrity Act would provide strong whistleblower protections for union employees who want to reveal the corrupt and illegal practices of union bosses.

On the Floor

This week on the House floor, I voted to end Biden's Public Health Emergency. Healthcare workers shouldn't have to comply with Biden's outdated COVID regulations, and it's time to end the unscientific vaccine and mask mandates. The pandemic is long over, and our policies should reflect that reality.

Democrats don't think federal employees should have to show up to the office. Not only have people in the 5th District been showing up every day and working hard, but it has been difficult for them to get a government employee on the phone when they need help. It's time to put the pandemic behind us and get all federal employees back to work, which is why I proudly voted YES on the SHOW Up Act on Wednesday.

Standing Up for Free Speech

Conservative voices and channels such as Newsmax and OAN face the threat of deplatforming by Big Tech companies like DIRECTV. On Tuesday, I raised my concerns on the House floor about the suppression of conservative speech. Whatever happened to classical liberalism, where we allow a variety of viewpoints to be heard and let people think for themselves?

 

Image

GOOD News from Washington

Image

Holding Biden Officials Accountable for the Border Invasion

This week, I joined several of my colleagues at a press conference to share our concerns about the Southern border invasion and how Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas has failed the American people. Thank you to my friend Rep. Andy Biggs of Arizona for leading the charge on the impeachment of Secretary Mayorkas.

Image

Meetings in Washington

This week in my DC office, I enjoyed meeting with the National District Attorney's Association. Thank you to Vice President Eric Olsen and the Virginia prosecutors who stopped by to discuss criminal justice in the Commonwealth.

Image

I was pleased to meet with the Saunders family, a 4th generational farming family from Virginia's 5th District. We discussed the importance of making all levels of government work for the American farmers that are critical to our communities.

Image


In the District

On Friday, I attended a breakfast organized by the Lynchburg Regional Business Alliance, a local networking event for business and community leaders presented by Foster Fuels.

Centra, the largest healthcare provider in central Virginia, opened a new presurgery center in Lynchburg. It was a pleasure attending the ribbon cutting ceremony for the new location, where I was able to meet many local healthcare professionals who serve our community.

Working for You

One of the ways we work to serve you more effectively is by conducting Mobile Office Hours in your community. Each month members of my team travel the 5th District to bring you the convenience of meeting with a congressional staff member face-to-face.

On Tuesday, February 7, the team will be in Fluvanna County from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. and Albemarle County from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. On Wednesday, February 8, they will be in Amelia County from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. and Powhatan County from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. On Thursday, February 9, they will be in Goochland and Lunenburg Counties and the city of Danville from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m., and then in Hanover, Pittsylvania, and Prince Edward Counties from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. For more information please call my District Office at (434) 791-2596.

You do not need to visit us during Mobile Office Hours to receive assistance from my office. Whether you need help with a federal agency, are trying to find out if federal grants are available for your local project, or are considering applying to a service academy, you can visit the following link to see how my staff and I are here to serve you: good.house.gov/services/help-federal-agency.

I look forward to continuing to update you on my actions to keep our communities safe, protect the unborn, and put Americans first. For daily updates you can follow me on FacebookTwitter, and Gettr.

I will continue to do my best going forward to fight for you in Congress and for the principles that continue to make America the greatest nation in our history.


Sincerely,

Bob Good
Member of Congress