Monday, February 23, 2009

Using Smoke & Mirrors to Prop Up Kaine and Warner

Reducing Or Eliminating Corporate Debt
Is The Way To Fix The Financial Mess

By James S. Gilmore III
Published: February 21, 2009

Culpeper Star Exponent

On Feb. 8, the Star-Exponent published a by James Clements extolling the fact that after four years of ineffective governance, Gov. Tim Kaine had finally found his legacy: banning smoking in restaurants and bars. This is pretty thin gruel for a four-year governor's administration (“Smoking ban will be Kaine's legacy and help preseve our health”).

In the column, Clements also expressed appreciation for Gov. Mark Warner's “four years streamlining government.” I will leave to the reader whether rocketing Virginia's budget from $52 billion when I left office to $76 billion, funded by tax increases, is “streamlining.”

The current headlines show that the unrestrained growth of Virginia's government spending during the Warner years was not sustainable during the Kaine downturn.

But Clements' article also took a little shot at my governorship, saying, “Jim Gilmore did much in his four years in office to show Warner that sometimes it is better if they don't remember you after you leave.”

I care what the readers in the Culpeper area think of me, especially with my family's Madison County roots. So I want to state here that I hope the people of Culpeper do remember my gover-norship.

Read the full editorial here.