Sunday, March 27, 2016

WVEC: Rep Forbes Speaks About Captured Sailors


March 24, 2016

When Iran detained ten U.S. sailors in January, Americans here at home watched the video footage with anger and concern. To many of us, the incident revealed yet again how foolish and short-sighted the Administration's dealings with this anti-American regime really are. I also take it as another sign of the impact that devastating cuts to our military are having on the training and readiness of U.S. forces being sent in harm's way.

I recently received a briefing on the initial findings of the Navy's official investigation into the situation, and am deeply concerned by what I heard. That's why, when I was chairing a recent Seapower and Projection Forces Subcommittee hearing, I urged all Members of Congress to receive the same briefing on this incident as soon as possible, so that we can work immediately to ensure that it never happens again.

I will continue to fight every day to ensure that the service members who are sent into harm's way are equipped with the training and resources they need to successfully accomplish their missions and return safely home.

Yours in service,

Randy