Thursday, March 10, 2022

Del. Phillip Scott: Weekly Newsletter

March 6, 2022

Edition XXXVII

Friends, as we enter the final week of the 2022 Session of the General Assembly, it's important to take pause and consider what it is we're trying to do doing here in Richmond. 
 
I campaigned on specific issues and made specific promises. I am doing my absolute best to deliver on those issues and promises. First and foremost, I have done everything within my power to be transparent. These newsletters are just a piece of that effort. As always, I welcome emails from constituents and concerned citizens. The best email address to contact me can be found here.
 
In terms of how I have been legislating, voting, and advocating, I believe I have taken as principled approach as anyone. I am a Christian, Constitutional, Conservative. In that order. Everything I do in Richmond is in pursuit of those ends.

Some of my colleagues in the Senate, however, have spent the session bragging about what they're not doing. Acting, in their own words, as a "brick wall" against any legislation that fails their radical purity test.
 
In the last several weeks, Senate Democrats have killed every piece of legislation designed to protect the Second Amendment rights of lawful gun-owners. They've opposed legislation that would have prevented public schools from teaching that any race is superior to another. They've openly and enthusiastically bragged about halting legislation that would have prevented babies who survive abortions from dying without care. The stakes are high, and Senate Democrats are squarely on the wrong side of history in these big moments.

During this past week, I spoke on the floor of the House of Delegates about an issue that is near and dear to my heart. I addressed the House on Trisomy Awareness Month.

I encourage you to monitor Virginia's Legislative Information Services, the best resource for tracking my bills and other legislators' bills. This week, the Senate passed my bills, HB 1239 and HB 1046
 
HB 1239 is the property tax bill that I have been giving regular updates on. It will give localities the ability to lower your taxes on most automobiles, motorcycles, and passenger trucks.
 
HB 1046 directs the Department of Medical Assistance Services to study options for and develop a plan to implement a process by which recipients of medical assistance services shall receive payments that may be used to purchase over-the-counter medications and medical supplies prescribed by an authorized prescriber directly in a retail setting and to report its findings and plan to the Governor and the Chairmen of the House Committees on Appropriations and Health, Welfare and Institutions and the  Senate Committees on Finance and Appropriations and Education and Health by December 1, 2022.
 Youtube video

2022 Regular Session Update                Week 8