Sunday, March 24, 2024

CAPT Hung Cao: The long journey to America

16 hours.

That's the length of the plane ride from Vietnam to the island of Guam, a patch of American soil in the Pacific Ocean.

My family had escaped Communist Vietnam by the skin of our teeth, and we were on the way to a strange new place called America.

But the second I stepped off that plane, I knew this country was different than the one I left.

Here, people weren't afraid. The streets were vibrant with laughter. In America, I knew we were truly free.

Despite coming to this country not knowing a word of English, I dedicated every second of my time learning how to become an American.

I knew I owed my life to this country, so at just 18 years old, I decided to dedicate my life to serving it. I was appointed to the U.S. Naval Academy, and after graduating, served as a Captain in the Navy for 25 years. 

My years on the front lines of combat weren't easy. There were many months away from my family. I pushed my body and my mind to the limit. There were times where I didn't know if I'd get out alive.

But it was worth it, because I was defending the country I loved and keeping the American Dream alive for my family.

Today, my service in the Navy may be over, but I'm not done fighting for our country.

I'm running for U.S. Senate in Virginia because Joe Biden is ERADICATING the same values that my fellow soldiers and I put our lives on the line for.

I believe our families deserve better than failing and aging career politicians. Our country deserves better.

I'll never give up on the country that saved my life, and I hope you'll join me in my mission to save America.