Sunday, April 21, 2024

Gabe Evans: The month of the military child

April is the month of the military child. A month dedicated to celebrating military children and the sacrifices that they make. I wanted to take a moment to talk about my oldest son and why this month is so important to my family. 

 

I went away on a combat deployment when my oldest son was just five months old, and I didn't see him again until he was 18 months old. 

 

I missed a lot of "firsts" - his first steps, his first words, his first birthday, and his first Christmas. It was hard, but I know the sacrifice was worth it because I was fighting to create a safer world for my son to grow up in. The sacrifice was not just my own, and I am so grateful to my family for staying strong while I was in a combat zone. 

 

That is why this month is so important to me.

 

When I got out of the Army, the last thing I ever imagined I would want to do was run for office. I wanted to settle down with my family and live a quiet life on our farm in Colorado. But I knew that my service to this country wasn't finished. 

 

I've gone on to dedicate my career to serving the people of Colorado as a police officer, a Colorado National Guardsman, and a State Representative. I want to continue that service in Washington D.C. and take on the Marxists who are tearing apart everything that soldiers like me fought for.  

 

What I see from the Biden administration is an insult to the sacrifices that military families like mine have made.

 

He's letting criminals out onto our streets. He's keeping our borders wide open to invasion. He's destroying the American Dream before our eyes. 

 

My family - and yours - deserve better. That's why I'm running for Congress.