Thursday, February 8, 2024

Delegate Eric Zehr: Blueberries, Bacon and a Bad Bill for Farmers

We've completed our third full week of the 2024 General Assembly session, and the House of Delegates has finally hit full stride. We have more than 1500 bills to consider and committees are busily working their way through hearing them. It was really exciting to have constituents join me in Richmond to advocate for our shared agricultural interests.


Like so many other Virginia families, my family's farm is more than just an income. It represents years of struggle, sacrifice, and a connection to the land which sets farming apart from other businesses. I don't expect politicians from Northern Virginia to understand this, but their lack of understanding doesn't excuse their actions. I will continue to fight for our farms.

  

When legislation passed recently which makes significant changes to how farmers employ help, I was alarmed. This legislation, patroned by someone from a district with no farms, puts legislators in the middle of the farmer-employee relationship, hurting many of remaining family farms. Of course, I remain opposed to this legislation and will continue to protect farmers and the farms they run.

 

There are also a significant number of bills that have been filed that would impact our Second Amendment rights, including bans on certain types of firearms. Fortunately, our Republican team – including Governor Youngkin – remains committed to our God-given liberties.

 

My staff and I continue to monitor these bills and will update you as we learn more.

 

We also continue to watch the development of the biennial state budget. Governor Youngkin's presented budget is a good place to start, but I am going to be an advocate for our local priorities.


So far, I've seen two of my bills successfully moved from subcommittee to full committee and I will continue to follow those bills to advocate for local law enforcement, local fire departments, and the free market. I've also sponsored bills in support of our Second Amendments rights and in the next week I expect to fully advocate for pro-life measures before this body. Here are some of the bills that I have patroned or co-patroned: