Monday, March 25, 2013

Unconstitutional


Rob Bell
Delegate, 58th District

On Friday, Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli issued his official advisory opinions about the transportation tax legislation and the proposal to create a Medicaid Innovation and Reform Commission (MIRC) that would be empowered to review proposals and ultimately authorize the expansion of Medicaid. He found both measures were unconstitutional.

I've already discussed my opposition to the transportation package, but here is a short video of my speech in opposition to the creation of the Medicaid Commission.

(The clip can be found here: http://goo.gl/J7qSd)

I fought against the bill because it appeared to me to be unconstitutional, as the Attorney General has now found. (In addition, I believed that the creation of the MIRC did not provide sufficient protections against expansion of Medicaid, which has already grown by 478% in the last 20 years.)