Saturday, May 4, 2024

Senator Rick Scott's Week in Review

The violence and discrimination we've witnessed against Jewish students across the country these past few weeks is extremely alarming. As a parent, it makes me mad that these individuals don't feel safe going to class.

Jewish students deserve to have a place where they can learn and go about their daily lives without fearing for their safety, and they deserve university leadership that fights for their right to do so. As I told the students I met with at George Washington University (GW) this week, my daughter attended GW and what I am seeing on that campus today is something I never could have imagined. It saddens me to see what this university and so many others have become because their presidents and leadership have chosen to cowardly appease these pro-Hamas terrorist sympathizers and allow them to take over these campuses. This isn't free speech – these pro-Hamas protesters are breaking our laws, calling for the death of Jewish people and threatening our students. These criminals must be prosecuted and expelled. 

To make matters worse, when GW asked for help from local police to keep students safe, D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser refused. It makes me furious, and that's why I sent a letter requesting she come before the U.S. Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee ASAP to explain that dangerous decision.

Image

Across the country, we've seen the difference in campuses where our incredible local law enforcement officers are able to help and where they're prevented from intervening. While it's encouraging to see universities in Florida quickly shutting down antisemitism and violence, there are many universities like Columbia, GW, Harvard, UCLA and others that are allowing it to continue for far too long. In the U.S. Senate, I will do everything in my power to support Jewish Americans and all Jewish students and make sure Israel can defend itself against the disgusting Iran-backed terrorism that seeks to destroy it. Just this week, I was proud to see my Antisemitism Awareness Act pass the House and urged my colleagues to quickly pass it in the Senate. Additionally, I continued to fight for my Stop Antisemitism on College Campuses Actwhich would rescind federal education funding for colleges and universities that peddle antisemitism or authorize, fund or facilitate events that promote violent antisemitism. 

For more on my work to support Israel and Florida's Jewish community, click HERE.